Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day.

Ah yes... Valentine's day... I was surprised (and yet... not really) by the amount of negative comments I heard about Valentine's day. To some it was simply an over-commercialized holiday, to others it was "singles awareness day" and to others it was just a miserable useless day because "love stinks". There is a name for these people. That name is "Party-Poopers". Seriously, folks. Its one day in the year. Get over it. If you don't like it, it'll be over soon and life will go on. But if you decide to rant about your hatred for the day, you are labeling yourself as sad and pathetic and selfish.

Here's a newsflash: Valentine's day is about giving love. Not getting it. On Valentine's day, and every day, whether or not you have a significant other, we all have people in our life who we can give love to in some way. Valentine's day may be over now, but you can still go give some love to someone. Try it. You might like it!
This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 1 John 4:10-11 

Okay, I'm done now. *steps off soapbox*

My Valentine's day was good. Nothing like what my husband and I had planned for the day. We kinda had a wrench thrown into our plans for the day, but we made some good lemonade out of our lemons and were able to laugh together and enjoy each other. I had a few extra unexpected opportunities for giving love, and I'm sure we will look back on this Valentine's day with happy memories of the love that we have for each other.

This man rocks my world.


3 comments:

leslie.kidd said...

Thank you for saying that! I read some interesting comments on facebook and wanted to roll my eyes. Seriously, it's just a day and people make way too much out of it than they should. I love how you pointed that we should GIVE love. I'll have to keep that in mind more for Valentine's to come!!!
Glad you have such a great man! <3 I, too, have a man that rocks my world! :D

Kandi said...

I always thought people who were bitter about Valentine's Day were just mad because they were alone. I like your perspective on giving love and it doesn't just have to be a significant other. There are so many people who need love in the every day moments. :)

Unknown said...

Very well said! I also read/heard a lot of negative comments about Valentine's Day. Which made me wonder what they think about Mother's Day or Father's Day. If they aren't a mom/dad, do they boycott those holidays also? Geez!

I agree that we shouldn't have to have a holiday to show our love for each other. We should do it daily. But it is only one day.

Glad you were able to enjoy your day! Our plans get messed up a bit also, but we still had a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...